woensdag 9 april 2008

Brussels International

Hi,

After two weeks of writing for Brussel Deze Week, I can say that Brussels is still a fantastic city, hosting more communities than you can imagine.
Did you know that there are even Uyghurs living in this capital? I will help you: Uyghuristan is the western part of the former Central-Asian Turkestan, which is now part of China. A hot topic.

I am following the Tibetan community of Brussels. You won't see me displaying Tibetan flags on my blog, or walking around with some 'Free Tibet' Button. No, my way of showing my opinion is by writing...articles. Mostly, I haven't got 'An Own Opinion' (mind the big 'O'). Journalism is the art of balancing, of being angry without losing the other side out of sight. Having an opinion, but being able to listen to the other side.
With my article about the Tibetan community, I am aware that I might be getting attracted by the idea of 'freeing Tibet'. I feel it is more an act of subtility, of gently showing this community to my readers, together with achievements, threats, but also with weaknesses. So you won't spot me with a flag, button or whatever can be used to make a statement. My articles are a statement, as a journalist. My personal opinion is something else. I try to convergate them. If I can help people while being a journalist, I help. But that doesn't mean that I will attach myself to one part.

I made the idea of posting more while working in Brussels. It doesn't always have to be about the Balkans, or something like that...

Regards,

Christophe

Geen opmerkingen: