donderdag 9 augustus 2007

Alive and kicking

Hi all,

Sarajevo has changed since I´ve last visited it. The former parliament building, destroyed in 1992 by Bosnian-Serb fire, has been completely restored. Everywhere in the city, you can see fresh new projects erecting from the ground. It seems that Sarajevo is completing a brand new skyline.
One of the first things I did when I arrived was drinking a hot turkish coffee, and it felt like I was somehow at home, a very comforting feeling. After the coffee time I managed a walk to the Jajce castle, high up on a hill above the city, and had some magnificent views. Tomorrow I will discover and explore more of this splendid city, but all I want now right at this moment is a hot meal, becaue I´m starving.
During my long bus trip (app. 26 hours), I met a woman, Mounira, who lives now in France but was going to Bosnia to visit her family. She told me about her country, about how war can destroy so many things. Maybe she can manage her brother to take me up on a drive to Igman one of the following days, but thats not certain at all.

While exploring the city, I was wondering how much I would have risked my life if I would have wandered on the spots I visited today, some 12 years ago. I almost reached the former front lines where Serbian snipers took so many life. It was an experience that gave me a shiver. A big contrast with the vast view I had, up on that hill, above a city that is trying so hard to be...a capital city of a European country...

More news will follow soon, maybe with pictures.

Regards

Christophe

Geen opmerkingen: