woensdag 5 december 2007

Inside the Balkan

Maybe you can only learn to appreciate the possibilities this region brings if you know its history


This quote is from Mark Mazower, a British historian who wrote an excellent book about the Balkan and its history. It was one of the best documents I've ever read about the Balkan, because I've struggeled many times with a definition of the region. Now I surely know that you can't just define the Balkan, there is no defintion that fit. This region, where I accidentally became involved with, is a continent of its own. And saying this, I don't refer to a certain 'bloody' history that people keep in their mind when hearing about Balkan countries.

So, there can be said more, but I am just going to let you readers think about this.

Geen opmerkingen: